In the 18th century the roadside inn Zur Goldene Krone was built on the site of a former house with brewing rights. King Friedrich II of Prussia (Friedrich the Great) stayed in the inn in 1758 during the period of the military conflict with Austrian Empress Maria Theresa. No further information is known on the building until the end of the 19th century; the house changed hands but in 1896 was bought by Svitavy entrepreneur and town mayor Johann Budig. Budig completely rebuilt the house, added a luxury restaurant, hotel rooms, and a fabulous mirrored ballroom which became the cultural centre of the town for many years.
|Category||mansion / villa / palace|