Back

Piarist Church of the Discovery of the Holy Cross and Piarist college

Menu
Czech name Piaristický chrám Nalezení sv. Kříže s kolejí
Address Jiráskova 8
GPS 49°52'20"N 16°18'47"E (xx km)
342 m above sea level
swipe

Piarist Church "Discovery of the Holy. Cross". It was built between 1714-1722 by the Italian architect Giovanni Battista Alliprandi and was completed after his death in the year 1720 by František Maximilian Kanka. Both internal and external sculptural decorations were made, among others, by Matthias Bernard Braun and his colleague J. F. Pacák.

Jan Evangelist Purkyne, natural scientist of world renown, and philosopher Bonifác Buzek studied at the Baroque college of the Piarist order of 1643.


Category church, religious monument, sight-seeing location

Tours / exhibitions

Opening hours
(GMT +2)
  • 3.5.-31.5., 1.7.-31.8. Mo-Su 10:00-16:00
  • June Mo-Su 10:00-18:00

Before visiting the building we recommend checking the current opening hours on the building's website or by contacting the operator by telephone.

open Open right now, as per business hours
Description The temple houses the sacred light installation of Václav Cigler and Michal Motyčka. There is an interactive program Up to the Angels prepared for children.
Exhibition specialization the Church / liturgical objects
Angels on the hillock
Description Interactive exhibition of religious art of the Diocese of Hradec Králové. The exhibition also includes an ascent to the viewpoint between the towers on the front of the church of the Finding of the Holy Cross, which not only provides a view of Castle hill, but also the entire city and its immediate surroundings.
Exhibition specialization the Church / liturgical objects
Angelic viewpoint